• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

9:30 AM GD show?

#227715 1 year, 7 months ago
"settle down and spread, it's breakfast in bed with the grateful dead"-phil lesh

archive.org/details/gd82-09-05.sbd-patch...rner.5490.sbeok.shnf

apparently they weren't even on the bill until bill graham took over as promoter for the event. i also read that band didn't bother sleeping at all for it.

i'd love it. i am a big fan of the early start shows on sunday red rocks. one other time in redmond WA can i recall furthur doing it.

what's crazier, is this isn't their earliest performance start time. when they played at the jamaica world festival, they started somewhere between 2-4:30 am, "accounts vary". i guess you could look at that as a "late" start too depending on how it was handled
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: alilfurther
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

Re: 9:30 AM GD show?

#227731 1 year, 7 months ago
I recall that was the US Festival. Earliest sunrise start time. Wake and Bake!
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#227737 1 year, 7 months ago
Not to be overly picky, but...
Phil opens this show with the following: "So this is the US Festival, right? How are WE feeling this morning? Well, snuggle down and spread, 'cause it's time for breakfast in bed with the Grateful Dead!"
Jerry then complains about "Bob's Guitar experiencing technological reluctance," to which Phil responds that "our crack equipment crew is on the case." After a minute or so, someone says "are we about ready?" A little more tuning up, than an interesting first set: Playin > Shakedown > Minglewood - Samson - China > Rider. After Minglewood, Bob notes that "we have amplifiers dropping off like fly's from the heat."
This show was performed at the Glen Helen Regional Park in Devore, Ca, on 9/5/82. Other musicians that day included Fleetwood Mack, Jcakson Browne, Jerry Jeff Walker and Jimmy Buffet & the Coral Reefer Band.
Bob and Mickey spoke a little bit about this show:
Bob" "There were a lot of equipment breakdowns in the first part of the show, but we pulled it together. We were all busy waking up, our equipment was busy waking up - and the crowd was busy waking up. By the time we got rolling, we just kept rolling until they were ready to get the hooks and drag us off the stage. We were having fun, in the most absurd - at least by our standards - circumstances."
Mickey: "We were the breakfast show!"
Bob: "That was to our advantage, because they got us out of bed and put us on the stage before we had a chance to get cold feet about playing in the heat."
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by nycdave. Reason: Technological Reluctance
bambamcdn
Junior Boarder

#227739 1 year, 7 months ago
I would LOVE a early am start to shows....def the wake and bake....I mean I used to not go to the club till 4am....
Someday, everything is gonna be different
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#227778 1 year, 7 months ago
I loved the afternoon shows they would do in Tempe .... Las Vegas not so much Too fuggin hot!!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Chester
More or less in line

#227788 1 year, 7 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
I loved the afternoon shows they would do in Tempe .... Las Vegas not so much Too fuggin hot!!

Yeah, I experienced those early shows. It was very interesting to be unleashed, with full show glow,
upon an unsuspecting Las Vegas at dinner time.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#227799 1 year, 7 months ago
Another reason why Furthur Fest in Calaveras was so nice. Soon after waking up, you can go enjoy some good ol blue grass or some other kind music being played. Very mellow and relaxing
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Wundurland
Expert Boarder

#227803 1 year, 7 months ago
Bakes wrote:
I recall that was the US Festival. Earliest sunrise start time. Wake and Bake!

Big fan of the wake and bake
...was staring at the little blotch of sunshine with a special intensity, considering lying down in it.

-JD Salinger
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#227821 1 year, 7 months ago
I agree Lewus, I love the early start of the Sunday night Red Rocks shows, there is something very special about seeing the Sun set warp around you twice a second as the band plays.
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#227837 1 year, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:
"settle down and spread, it's breakfast in bed with the grateful dead"-phil lesh

archive.org/details/gd82-09-05.sbd-patch...rner.5490.sbeok.shnf

apparently they weren't even on the bill until bill graham took over as promoter for the event. i also read that band didn't bother sleeping at all for it.

i'd love it. i am a big fan of the early start shows on sunday red rocks. one other time in redmond WA can i recall furthur doing it.

what's crazier, is this isn't their earliest performance start time. when they played at the jamaica world festival, they started somewhere between 2-4:30 am, "accounts vary". i guess you could look at that as a "late" start too depending on how it was handled

I was at this show and it was very odd. No one was quite awake yet - crowd or band-wise. There was a core group of heads who just came for that day near the stage and a lot of sleepy people up from staying up all day night and night for two days prior. And it was HOT, even at that time of the morning. I fondly recall eating the most amazing piece of ice cold watermelon…

The first day was great with the Talking Heads, English Beat, Police, Oingo Boingo.. I forget who else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Time to create page: 5.21 seconds